Is it your first time to prepare tax returns? Or are you too busy to even remember that taxes are filed? If you are in such a dilemma then you need to find a tax professional soon to do all the paperwork for you. But the big question stands: How do I find one? Finding a tax professional whom you can fully trust with your personal information is a great challenge due to the high rates of cyber-crimes that are reported day in day out. But don’t be worried, I will guide you with a way forward on how to get the best preparer.
Even before you decide on whom to hire, make yourself familiar of the various types of tax preparers we have in the market. The two main types are:
- Certified Public Accountants – These are accountants who have been tasted and qualified the state exams and that they have the necessary education and experience to handle tax matters. A CPA specialist can be able to guide you even through other financial management issues, though first make sure whether or not they have experience in tax returns.
- Enrolled agents – These are tax agents who have been enrolled by the IRS basically via conducting an exam or having worked with the IRS for at least five years. In this way, you qualify to have the experience to practice as a tax professional. These agents are the best to use since there life is taxes and may have affordable rates.
Since you are the one legally and financially responsible for all the transaction despite someone else preparing them for you, below are some of the tips to apply to find a tax professional:
- Referrals – A referral especially from a friend is more trustworthy to go for. If none of your friends haveany suggestions, then you can opt to ask people from outside your inner circle, such as a work colleague, a neighbour, acquaintances or any consultancy.
- Research – In the world we live today, the Internet has made work really easier. Just by typing ‘How can I find a tax professional?’ you get many options from which you get to choose from. With this, you only need to be careful not to fall into the hands of conmen.
- Yellow pages – This is a local directory inventory which can give you for example a list of the CPA holders in your location, with their contact information.
- Registered bodies – Professional bodies, for example a body for CPA holders within your location or even IRS, can direct you to qualified Enrolled agents. for more details, visit : https://www.ri.gov/taxation/refund/
Once you have the contact of this person, you need to certify their qualifications and perform an intense background check on the same especially on the company or individual profile. Also check for compatibility of the tax professional with the type of tax returns you want to make.Do not be afraid of calling a few people to see if they know of the tax preparer and never sign an empty tax returns.